[Bioc-devel] choosing R version dependency for existing packages

Paul Shannon p@ul@thurmond@@h@nnon @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Nov 2 16:19:14 CET 2018

A user of MotifDb requests - sensibly, I think - that I loosen the requirement

  Depends: R (>= 3.5.1)

which I added before the release.   This seems sensible and supported by, for example, R (>= 2.10) in GenomicRanges.

Is this, then, the heuristic?

  - new packages should depend on the lastest release of R

  - older existing packages should depend on earlier
    versions of R, possibly sticking with the version of R in
    which they originally appeared, as long as they have not
    been subsequently modified to use new R features.

- Paul