[Bioc-devel] Cannot update my development package to Bioconductor

cstrato c@tr@to @ending from @on@@t
Mon May 14 22:21:42 CEST 2018

Dear Nitesh,

Thank you for your fast reply. Here is  what I tried now,
including using 'git pull':

$ cd /Volumes/T3Data/CRAN/GIT/xps

$ git checkout master
Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.

$ git pull
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/cstrato/.ssh/id_rsa':
Already up-to-date.

$ git commit DESCRIPTION
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Untracked files:
         .DS_Store
         xps/

nothing added to commit but untracked files present

$ git push
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/cstrato/.ssh/id_rsa':
Everything up-to-date

$ git push origin master
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/cstrato/.ssh/id_rsa':
Everything up-to-date

$ git push upstream master
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/cstrato/.ssh/id_rsa':
To git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps
  ! [rejected]        master -> master (fetch first)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps'
hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing
hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Since I still get the same error I tried the following:

$ git merge upstream/master
merge: upstream/master - not something we can merge

$ git remote -v
origin  git at github.com:cstrato/xps.git (fetch)
origin  git at github.com:cstrato/xps.git (push)
upstream        git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps (fetch)
upstream        git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps (push)

$ git push -u origin master
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/cstrato/.ssh/id_rsa':
Branch master set up to track remote branch master from origin.
Everything up-to-date

$ git push upstream master
Enter passphrase for key '/Users/cstrato/.ssh/id_rsa':
To git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps
  ! [rejected]        master -> master (fetch first)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps'
hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing
hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Once again I get the same error.

- Do you know what might be the reason?

- Furthermore, why is it not possible to follow exactly the guidelines in:
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/push-to-github-bioc/

Best regards,
Christian