[Bioc-devel] getuid, geteuid, gegid, getegid on mingw

August Guang august.guang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:53:37 CET 2018

I got approval from the SeqAn (www.seqan.de) team to repackage their
headers for easy use in a few other R packages I am writing. This package
has been called RSeqAn. (https://github.com/compbiocore/RSeqAn)

However, SeqAn doesn't have support for mingw although it does for other
Windows compilers. I am not familiar with compiler-specific code but have
been trying to address various issues with building RSeqAn on Windows. (see
https://github.com/Bioconductor/Contributions/issues/652) So far I have
added mman-win32 to replace sys/mman.h and changed some enum values to not
use posix_madvise.

I am getting way out of my depth. The current error I am trying to tackle
is the fact that getuid, geteuid, getgid and getegid are Unix-only. It
appears I can either write my own macros for them (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1594746/win32-equivalent-of-getuid) or
install LibGW32 for them (
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libgw32c.htm). Is there an option
that would be better and can I get some advice on how I would implement it?
Or is there a way to test R on Windows with a different compiler?

thanks,
august