[Bioc-devel] Fwd: Git error when pushing to bioconductor

Turaga, Nitesh Nite@h@Tur@g@ @ending from Ro@wellP@rk@org
Fri Jun 22 21:45:54 CEST 2018

Forwarding to bioc-devel as it is a useful topic in git branch divergence.

Begin forwarded message:

From: ni41435_ca <nitesh.turaga using roswellpark.org<mailto:nitesh.turaga using roswellpark.org>>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Git error when pushing to bioconductor
Date: June 22, 2018 at 3:44:50 PM EDT
To: "Kangeyan, Divy" <divyswar01 using g.harvard.edu<mailto:divyswar01 using g.harvard.edu>>

Hi Divy

You haven’t pushed to the remote branch since https://github.com/aryeelab/scmeth/commit/77854c66812bc8341f1aa722023ac371982066af.

And after that the histories have diverged completely. The Bioconductor version has (1737d8609f78099002841a9a78266bf3e6535146), whereas the GitHub version goes into the commit (8040210d9327a1de81861d5af2aae69c62f434c0).

One way to solve this is to follow these steps on your local machine.

## Make a backup of your current master branch
git branch master_backup

## rename your current master branch
git branch -M master_deprecated

## checkout bioconductors master
git checkout -b master upstream/master (this only works if your remotes are correct)

## Now cherry pick all the commits you want from your master backup branch on to the proper version of master
git cherry-pick <commit id from master_backup branch>

( you can check the log of your master_backup by using `git log master_backup`)

Then once you have gotten all the commits onto the new master branch in the correct way, try to push to both Github and Bioconductor.

You should be able to force push to your GitHub, but you cannot to Bioconductor. Since it is a traced checkout of the bioconductor master branch, it will not require a force push.

Try that and let me know if it helps.

Best,

Nitesh