[Bioc-devel] BiocManager now on CRAN

Marcel Ramos M@rcel@R@mo@ @ending from ro@wellp@rk@org
Mon Jul 16 18:37:53 CEST 2018

Hi Gabe,

Please note that we are only making changes to packages in *bioc-devel*.

BiocManager wouldn't fail for users with earlier versions of R because
it doesn't apply to them. These users
should be using the respective bioc-release versions and consequently
`BiocInstaller`.

BiocManger is currently supported only for `devel` and all /bioc-devel/
users have R 3.5.0 or greater going forward.

Regards,
Marcel

On 07/16/2018 11:51 AM, Gabe Becker wrote:
> Marcel et al,
>
> My genbankr package is one of the ones that mentions biocLite (in
> README.md, actually, not the vignette proper, but still...).
> Historically this was just because I had missed your email and hadn't
> updated it, but when I sat down to do it I ran into an issue:
>
> BiocManager, while a huge step forward, requires R >3.5.0. That is
> still relatively new, and my package (along with all Bioc packages
> from the corresponding release) works fine under 3.4.x (and previous).
> I'm somewhat loath to completely remove the biocLite based
> instructions because install.packages("BiocManager") will fail (well,
> not with an error, but it doesn't install anything...) for users with
> earlier versions of R, wherease
> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R") works and gets the
> correct version for them IIRC.
The `biocLite` instructions only apply the current and previous release
versions of Bioconductor.