[Bioc-devel] BiocManager now on CRAN

Gabe Becker becker@g@be @ending from gene@com
Mon Jul 16 17:51:40 CEST 2018

Marcel et al,

My genbankr package is one of the ones that mentions biocLite (in
README.md, actually, not the vignette proper, but still...). Historically
this was just because I had missed your email and hadn't updated it, but
when I sat down to do it I ran into an issue:

BiocManager, while a huge step forward, requires R >3.5.0. That is still
relatively new, and my package (along with all Bioc packages from the
corresponding release) works fine under 3.4.x (and previous). I'm somewhat
loath to completely remove the biocLite based instructions because
install.packages("BiocManager") will fail (well, not with an error, but it
doesn't install anything...) for users with earlier versions of R, wherease
source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R") works and gets the correct
version for them IIRC.

Is there guidance on how to handle this issue?

Thanks,
~G