[Bioc-devel] Fixing bugs in release version

Mike Smith grimbough @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Jul 12 14:58:34 CEST 2018

Hi Jason,

There is no explicit connection between Github and git.bioconductor.org
(I'm going to call this git.bioc from now on)  Only changes that are pushed
to git.bioc will be reflected in the packages available via
www.bioconductor.org and biocLite().  You can make any changes you like to
a repo on Github and similarly create branches with any name you want, but
this is completely separate from Bioconductor.  Having a  RELEASE_X_Y
branch on Github and making a change there does not automatically mean it
gets sent to git.bioc.

Many people like to maintain a Github repository in addition to git.bioc as
it provides many useful features for social coding (comments, issues, text
search etc) but it's entirely possible to ignore Github completely after
your package has been accepted.

It sounds like you're interested in using both git.bioc and Github, in
which case the instructions at
https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/push-to-github-bioc/ might
help with keeping them in sync.

Mike