[Bioc-devel] R version check in BiocChech

Alexey Sergushichev alsergbox at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 09:02:16 CET 2018

Dear Bioconducotr community,

I wonder, what is the reason behind requirement for dependency R >= 3.5
(currently) for new packages?

As a developer I really want an installation of my package to be as easy as
possible and want my package to be easily installed from github. So
currently, when I develop a package I put a R >= 3.4 in my DESCRIPTION and
test it using Travis against bioc-release. Then, before submission
to Bioconductor, I have to change R >= 3.4 dependency to R >= 3.5, so that
the package passes BiocCheck. However, most users don't have R-devel
installed, so they have R 3.4 in the best case, and for these users I
create another repository branch with R >= 3.4 dependency.

Overall, it is quite bothersome and it doesn't really make sense to me to
to restrict potential users in this way. Am I the only one who have issues
with this? Am I missing something? Or may be this check could be removed?

Best,
Alexey Sergushichev