[Bioc-devel] error in loading pbdMPI on tokay2

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Feb 8 13:58:22 CET 2018

On 02/07/2018 05:01 PM, Armen Abnousi wrote:
> Hi Valerie,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I can make it work using snow I believe. But the
> problem is that all functions in these packages that you have suggested
> (including snow; as far as I have seen) return the answer to one node and
> then if I want all nodes to have the same answer I will need to broadcast
> it to all nodes or repeat the same operation. This is very prohibitive,
> requiring a lot of communication. On the other hand if I could use MPI
> functionality, allGather would cut the operation to half (if not more,
> given the size of the communication that will be needed. I haven't been
> able to find a package with a functionality similar to allGather that will
> work without MPI. With larger dataset sizes, this problem becomes more
> threatening and that is just the opposite of what drives us to use
> parallelism. I don't know if there is any other option, maybe we can't do
> better, but I thought I'll let you know what my problem is and maybe you'll
> suggest a better way to deal with it. Thank you again.

as a sub-optimal solution one could use the file system for data
transfer, sending tempfile() or app-specific
BiocFileCache::BiocFileCache() file paths between nodes; access could be
synchronized using BiocParallel::ipc* mutex.

Although the build system does not support MPI, sufficiently motivated
users might go to the trouble of installing it; you could make your
parallel code conditional on presence of MPI, defaulting to serial
(maybe with an encouraging message()) otherwise. MPI depedencies would
be moved to the Enhances: field, I think...

Martin