[Bioc-devel] BioC 3.7 Windows check warning "file link zz in package yy does not exist "

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Mon Apr 9 17:23:22 CEST 2018

On 04/09/2018 10:51 AM, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

> Dear Martin,
>
> On Fri, 06-April-2018, at 18:59:00, Martin Morgan <martin.morgan at roswellpark.org> wrote:
>> On 04/06/2018 10:44 AM, Lluís Revilla wrote:
>>> I have recently faced a similar warning.
>>> This is when a link to a help page of another package is broken (there is
>>> not such help page). Although those could be false positives:
>>> mclapply help page does exists in parallel package.
>>> as.MAList does exists in devel limma
>>
>> when \link-ing to another package, from RShowDoc("R-exts") section 2.5
>> the [] has to name the html help page, not the name of the function. For
>> instance, `mclapply` is documented on a man page called mcdummies.Rd
>> (!), so '\link[parallel:mcdummies]{nearest} would presumably not
>
> I am confused here: as far as I can tell, there is an mclapply.html file:
>
> http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/parallel/html/mclapply.html
>
> In addition, when I use the \link[parallel:mcdummies] I get a warning when
> testing under Linux.

yeah, this is a pretty good one. If you look at

   https://github.com/wch/r-source/tree/trunk/src/library/parallel/man

you'll see that there are different man pages for different operating
systems. On windows there is mcdummies, on unix mclapply & friends. This
seems like a bad idea (users comparing notes to work through a problem
get different help pages!). I don't really know how to link explicitly
to these in a conditional manner.

And in general it seems highly fragile to link to the name of the help
page, rather than to the alias. I'd treat the 'warning' as (maybe bad)
advice, rather than a requirement.

> On rereading section 2.5, I think \link[pkg]{foo} should work too (if there
> is a foo.html file.)

it does (but on windows there is no mclapply.html). But also on windows
the '...treated as a topic' part of the warning actually indicates that
R has figured out where it should link, so you get the warning but also
a working link.

> Nevertheless, section 2.5 indicates that \link[pkg]{foo} and
> \link[pkg:bar]{foo} are rarely needed, so I'll try to remove them (except
> in those cases, covered in section 2.5, where "more than one package offers
> help on a topic")

yes the first pass should also be the simplest -- no fancy markup unless
necessary.

Martin