[Bioc-devel] BioC 3.7 Windows check warning "file link zz in package yy does not exist "

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:51:38 CEST 2018

Dear Martin,

On Fri, 06-April-2018, at 18:59:00, Martin Morgan <martin.morgan at roswellpark.org> wrote:
> On 04/06/2018 10:44 AM, Lluís Revilla wrote:
>> I have recently faced a similar warning.
>> This is when a link to a help page of another package is broken (there is
>> not such help page). Although those could be false positives:
>> mclapply help page does exists in parallel package.
>> as.MAList does exists in devel limma
>
> when \link-ing to another package, from RShowDoc("R-exts") section 2.5
> the [] has to name the html help page, not the name of the function. For
> instance, `mclapply` is documented on a man page called mcdummies.Rd
> (!), so '\link[parallel:mcdummies]{nearest} would presumably not

I am confused here: as far as I can tell, there is an mclapply.html file:

http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/parallel/html/mclapply.html

In addition, when I use the \link[parallel:mcdummies] I get a warning when
testing under Linux.

On rereading section 2.5, I think \link[pkg]{foo} should work too (if there
is a foo.html file.)

Nevertheless, section 2.5 indicates that \link[pkg]{foo} and
\link[pkg:bar]{foo} are rarely needed, so I'll try to remove them (except
in those cases, covered in section 2.5, where "more than one package offers
help on a topic")

> generate the warning. Similarly \link[limma:asmalist]{as.MAList}.
>
> There are several things that still need exploration.
>
> - platform-specific (I have a vague understanding that Windows is
> special, but that might be outdated... [at least in this context...])

I am only getting the warnings under Windows (which lead me to think it was
windows misbehaving).

> - recent. I have to admit to changing the text of the warning with this
> commit
>

> https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/cbd7ca1b1aedf0405e11ee2440fbde891cba524e
>
>    but what I was intending to do was to change what it says, from the
> warning in release ('missing file link') to what it says, correctly, in
> devel 'file link ... does not exist and so has been treated as a topic'.
> The old text appears in release, and the new in devel, as anticipated.
> If I messed up somehow please let me know...
>
> - even with the warning, the link isn't broken in the dynamic help
> system (it might have been broken prior to my commit...).

OK, thanks.

Best,

R.

Email: rdiaz02 at gmail.com