[Bioc-devel] experimental data packages and git-lfs

Levi Waldron lwaldron.research at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 23:52:01 CEST 2017

Thanks, Nitesh! See below:

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Turaga, Nitesh <
Nitesh.Turaga at roswellpark.org> wrote:

> Hi Levi,
>
> I’m not sure what you mean by tracked vs checked.

Sorry, I meant whether there are any differences in the way software and
experimental data packages are handled by Bioconductor. It seems like from
the developer's perspective now, they are handled exactly the same, as
opposed to in the past when experimental data packages were tracked in two
separate svn repos and checked only twice a week.

On another note, I have explored your package a little on GitHub
> (waldronLab/curatedOvarianData), and I’ve noticed that the data files
> there are stored as LFS files. As long as you don’t add the .gitattributes
> file in upstream, you should be fine. You can keep the LFS tracking on
> Github and non-LFS storage on bioc-git separate.

To summarize:  No LFS support as of right now on bioc-git server, so I
> wouldn’t use any LFS commands.

So the way I understand this is, I can continue using LFS on GitHub, and
merging my changes upstream to git.bioconductor.org, as long as I avoid
adding the .gitattributes file upstream. I have already used LFS commands
to initiate LFS on GitHub, but these shouldn't affect git.bioconductor.org
if I avoid adding the .gitattributes file upstream.