[Bioc-devel] pandoc SSL error on malbec2 and tokay2

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Sep 6 20:48:18 CEST 2017

On 09/05/2017 10:35 AM, Nan Xiao wrote:
> Hey Kasper,
>
> - I really appreciate your help. Although it didn't help answer the
>    question directly, I think it would still be necessary to clarify
>    some facts:
> 1. I agree that using "non-standard fonts" could bring better aesthetics
>     for a particular group of people -- maybe not everyone. But the
>     "occasional" build problem should not be a reason why this
>     personalization is discouraged. In fact, such build problem should
>     not happen a lot (or, at all). I have been using such non-standard
>     fonts for my 9 regularly updated R packages on CRAN since 2015, and I
>     didn't encounter a single vignette build issue.
> 2. I've used BioCStyle since 2014, but eventually decided to switch to
>     my own style years later because of the frequent build errors it
>     caused back then. Maybe that's only my personal, limited experience
>     (and I've seen the recent BioCStyle v2 got a lot of improvements),
>     but this is the main reason why I trust the document style
>     controllable by myself more than the other options.

It's great that CRAN is so efficient and robust; I really don't know how
they do it.

I'll re-iterate with Kasper that these customizations cost us
(Bioconductor core team) time -- maybe your package fails only once
every 1000 days, but there are a thousand developers so...

Fixing BiocStyle once fixes it for all developers, while fixing a custom
issue once fixes it for just one developer.

And users can choose to build vignettes, so they'll have to
trouble-shoot whatever issues are unique to your package.

There really is value all around in keeping things simple.

As for your particular issue, it seemed to fail on 3 of the 5 builds
that have reported yesterday, 2 of the five today. Have you noticed this
for several days in a row?

I did ask about pandoc on the builders; they have

   malbec1/2 are at version 1.19.1
   tokay1/2 have 1.17.2
   veracruz1/2 have 1.19.2.

of course we try to keep these in sync, but also do not go to
extraordinary lengths to install the same version across platforms.
These have not changed in the time frame that would cause your builds to
experience recent failures.

This seems very much like a transient Internet access issue. Transient
access is one of the most difficult to debug, especially on our 'build'
servers where the loads experienced by the machines can vary a lot, and
where the vagaries of Internet connections can be catastrophic for a
build but almost unobserved by an individual investigating the problem.

Martin