[Bioc-devel] MultiAssayExperiment compared to SummarizedExperiment (was: Why should Bioconductor developers re-use core classes?)

Levi Waldron lwaldron.research at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 16:16:20 CEST 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Dario Strbenac <dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au>
wrote:

> Good day,
>
> It might be useful to readers to have a comparison table (ticks and
> crosses) in the MultiAssayExperiment vignette that compares the features
> available in it to those available in SummarizedExperiment, to allow
> quicker decision making.

Good point, this is worth adding. I think the decision can probably be made
on one consideration: if it makes sense to represent all your assays by a
single set of rownames or row ranges, and a single set of colnames, then
you should use SummarizedExperiment. If your assays don't "match up" in
this way, then MultiAssayExperiment. Of course, the ExperimentList elements
of a MultiAssayExperiment can be SummarizedExperiments...

--
Levi Waldron
http://www.waldronlab.org