[Bioc-devel] EXTERNAL: Re: Cannot move 'xps' to GIT

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Oct 12 23:21:15 CEST 2017

On 10/12/2017 04:13 PM, cstrato wrote:
> Dear Martin,
>
> Thank you for your informative reply.
>
> 1, My SSH public key that you mentioned is the correct one.
>

> 2, After following your advice and running
>
>    ssh -v git at git.bioconductor.org
>
> I got:
>
> OpenSSH_7.4p1, LibreSSL 2.5.0
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Connecting to git.bioconductor.org [34.192.48.227] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: identity file /Users/rabbitus/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
> debug1: key_load_public: No such file or directory
> debug1: Remote: PTY allocation disabled.
> PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
> hello c.stratowa, this is git at ip-172-30-0-33 running gitolite3
> v3.6.6-6-g7c8f0ab on git 2.13.0
> bash: debug1:: command not found
>

> 3, Nevertheless, I could run:
>
>    git clone git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps
>
> I got:
> Cloning into 'xps'...
> Enter passphrase for key '/Users/rabbitus/.ssh/id_rsa':
> remote: Counting objects: 2757, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2741/2741), done.
> remote: Total 2757 (delta 2077), reused 0 (delta 0)
> Receiving objects: 100% (2757/2757), 5.62 MiB | 945.00 KiB/s, done.
> Resolving deltas: 100% (2077/2077), done.
> Checking connectivity... done.

 From the Bioconductor perspective, I think you are 'good to go', and
you could follow, e.g.,

     http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/maintain-bioc-only/

to commit and push changes to the Bioconductor git repository. These
changes would be incorporated into the nightly builds, etc., as before.

> 4, In 'https://github.com/settings/keys' I deleted the old SSH key and
> tried to add a new SSH key, where in 'Key' I copied once again my public
> 'id_rsa'. However, once again I received an email with the wrong key
> 'df:2d:78:4f:**'

This is the 'fingerprint' of the SSH public key, rather than the public
key itself.

> I do not understand why my correct key is not accepted.
>
> According to 'https://caius.github.io/github_id/' my user id is:
> cstrato is github user #32616897
>
> My public key at 'https://github.com/cstrato.keys' is still empty.

I don't know the answer to this github question; maybe public keys are
not displayed by default? At any rate it 'does not matter'; github
allows you to clone via https + password, or via ssh; all you need is to
be able to clone your newly created, empty github xps repository, which
it seems from below that you can.

It sounds like, now that you have access to git.bioconductor.org, you
could follow

   https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/maintain-github-bioc/

Martin

> I am not sure what I need to do next?
>
> Thank you.
> Best regards,
> Christian
>

> On 10/12/17 19:40, Martin Morgan wrote:
>> On 10/08/2017 01:37 PM, cstrato wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I wanted to update my package 'xps' and realized that I can no longer
>>> use 'svn commit'
>>>
>>> In order to use GIT I did the following:
>>>

>>> 1, I created a public key '~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub'
>>>

>>> 2, I did submit my 'SSH public key or github id to Bioconductor',
>>> using the 'git/svn transition: ssh keys' form.
>>>
>>> Here I entered my SVN user id, but it was not clear what my ID is.
>>> So I checked 'svn info' and used  first my name 'c.stratowa' as SVN
>>> user id.
>>> Since I did not succeed I repeated the procedure and used the UUID as
>>> SVN user id.
>>>
>>> Is this correct, or how do I get my SVN user id?
>>>

>>> 3, I created a new GitHub repository:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/cstrato/xps
>>>

>>> 4, Then I tried to clone the empty repository from GitHub. Here is
>>> the result:
>>>
>>> iMac:GIT cstrato$ git clone https://github.com/cstrato/xps.git
>>> Cloning into 'xps'...
>>> warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
>>> Checking connectivity... done.
>>> iMac:GIT cstrato$ git clone https://github.com/cstrato/xps.git
>>> fatal: destination path 'xps' already exists and is not an empty
>>> directory.
>>> iMac:GIT cstrato$ cd xps
>>> iMac:xps cstrato$ git remote add upstream
>>> git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/xps.git
>>> iMac:xps cstrato$ git fetch upstream
>>> Permission denied (publickey).
>>> fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>>
>> there's a single public key associated with access to xps, ending with
>>
>>    /m+bdjnFrDw5Fod8Sa9zDh2vXcICrNcxWGds2rbG3Q==
>>
>> that should correspond to one of the public keys in your ~/.ssh/
>> directory. If not, resubmit the form with You can try
>>
>>    ssh -v git at git.bioconductor.org
>>
>> and try to diagnosis why this public key is not being matched; a
>> possibility is FAQ #15 where git is choosing the wrong key
>>
>>    https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/faq/
>>

>>> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
>>> and the repository exists.
>>>

>>> 5, I realized that I needed to add my public key to:
>>> https://github.com/settings/keys
>>>
>>> The email I got was:
>>> The following SSH key was added to your account:
>>> iMac
>>> df:2d:**:**:** etc
>>
>> no, that doesn't look like an ssh key, it looks like a MAC address.
>>
>> What's you're github user id? the link
>> https://github.com/settings/keys is only useful to you. My public key
>> is at https://github.com/mtmorgan.keys
>>

>>> If you believe this key was added in error, you can remove the key
>>> and disable access at the following location:
>>> https://github.com/settings/keys
>>>

>>> Now my questions are:
>>>
>>> Do you think the SSH key should look as the one I got?

> [...]
>>> C.h.r.i.s.t.i.a.n   S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a
>>> V.i.e.n.n.a           A.u.s.t.r.i.a
>>> e.m.a.i.l:        cstrato at aon.at