[Bioc-devel] Update/ replace package

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Tue May 9 14:46:23 CEST 2017

On 05/08/2017 04:57 AM, Christian Oertlin wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> We created an updated version of our package "anota", which will run under a new name "anota2seq".
>
> We would like to update/replace the anota package and also change the name. If we update the "anota" package using the SVN, will that also change the name of the "anota" package to "anota2seq".
>
> Or
>
> Should we submit the "anota2seq" package as a complete new submission?

Personally I think you should reconsider the need to introduce a new
package, especially when at least the name suggests it does something
qualitatively similar. By introducing a new package you'll have to
decide whether the old package will be deprecated and made defunct (over
the course of two release cycles,
http://bioconductor.org/developers/package-end-of-life/, confusing and
alienating your users current users) or maintained indefinitely
(confusing future users about which package they should be using, and
doubling your maintenance costs.

If you do decide to create a new package, it must be submitted through
the tracker and go through the review process. You would also indicate
that the anota package will be deprecated / made defunct.

Martin