[Bioc-devel] question on bioconductor/package citation

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Sat Mar 4 20:33:18 CET 2017

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 6:13 AM, Dwivedi, Bhakti <bhakti.dwivedi at emory.edu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a few general questions. With such a rigorous peer-review process
> in place for new package submissions in Bioconductor, I was wondering if
> there is a way to assess the package acceptance rate?
>

> The reason I asked, I want to include the Bioconductor package citation in
> my NIH bio-sketch; however, given the format requirements, I cannot provide
> a URL and the unfortunately the release citation is not recognized similar
> to a citation for a typical journal article. Have anyone thought of a
> Bioconductor software journal? Is there a better way to cite a package that
> I am unware of? Would appreciate your help and suggestions.

In terms of impact, things like the number of downloads and number of
reverse dependencies are probably good metrics.

> Also, I am really interested in becoming a Bioconductor member/participant
> and volunteering as a code/documentation reviewer or contributor to a part
> of a project. Is there someone I can contact to achieve this or get an idea
> of what may be required to get there?

My opinion on ways to contribute to Bioconductor include:
1) Using Bioconductor, popularizing it and contributing feedback
2) Contributing packages (that integrate with and extend the platform, not
just to distribute a package)
3) Reviewing packages (great practice for getting better at developing your
own)
4) Providing training, workshops, etc, including at the Bioc conference
5) Contributing workflow tutorials/articles, including through the F1000
channel
6) Answering questions on the support site

I'm sure I'm missing some. Another avenue, not yet established, would be
formal, public working groups / projects towards specific aims. For
example, the MultiAssayExperiment was close to that. We could also identify
gaps or decaying areas in the infrastructure and ask for help instead of
spending core group resources. That would require some trust, and the
avenues above would be ways of gaining it. The move to git(hub) would give
us an issue tracker, pull requests, review mechanisms, etc for managing the
process.