[Bioc-devel] git transition for projects with prior git history

McDavid, Andrew Andrew_Mcdavid at URMC.Rochester.edu
Thu Jul 27 22:52:48 CEST 2017

Is there a recommended recipe to utilize the git.bioconductor.org<http://git.bioconductor.org> remote with an existing git repo that has non-zero history?  I tried adding the git.bioconductor.org<http://git.bioconductor.org> as a remote, making a branch, and then checking out a branch on that remote, but it gave my computer sad.  Do I need to clone a new repo instead?

Example:
$ git remote -vv
bioc https://github.com/Bioconductor-mirror/MAST.git (fetch)
bioc https://github.com/Bioconductor-mirror/MAST.git (push)
biocgit git at git.bioconductor.org<mailto:git at git.bioconductor.org>:packages/MAST (fetch)
biocgit git at git.bioconductor.org<mailto:git at git.bioconductor.org>:packages/MAST (push)
origin git at github.com<mailto:git at github.com>:RGLab/MAST.git (fetch)
origin git at github.com<mailto:git at github.com>:RGLab/MAST.git (push

$ git fetch biocgit
$ git checkout -b bgMaster --track biocgit/master
<some commits to master>
$ git merge master bgMaster
fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories