[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor package license: dependency on work under non-commercial license

David J. H. Shih dshih at jimmy.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 26 05:52:59 CET 2017

Thank you for the clarification.

I'll look into replacing BLAT with SHRiMP2, which is under a permissive
FOSS license. SHRiMP2 has comparable or superior performance across
different data types in multiple independent studies anyway. I just
wished I had not wasted three weeks scrubbing and refactoring BLAT's C
code.

David

On 2017-01-25 21:20, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 01/25/2017 08:12 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
>> I can't speak to the license question (I'd guess the answer is no) but
>> I am pretty sure that any dependencies of a Bioconductor package have
>> to be available on CRAN or in Bioconductor itself. So you can't depend
>> on packages that are only in GitHub.
>>

> A very small number of Bioconductor packages have (or depend on
> packages with) restrictive licenses, almost all for legacy reasons; a
> few packages have gone to great lengths to ensure that their use of
> otherwise restrictive code can be licensed in an open way. I'd be
> extremely discouraging of a new package with a direct or implied
> academic-only license.
>
> There is some additional discussion on technical aspects of specifying
> licenses in Writing R Extension section 1.1.2.
>
>     RShowDoc("R-exts")
>
> Martin Morgan
> Bioconductor
>
>> Dan

>>> 2. Create the main package under GPLv3 that optionally depends on