[Bioc-devel] Git transition is happening August 16th.

Turaga, Nitesh Nitesh.Turaga at RoswellPark.org
Mon Aug 21 17:49:43 CEST 2017

Hi Matthew,

> On Aug 20, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Matthew Myint <matthewmyint1993 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, thanks for the transition! Its nice to work from git without the need to use svn.
>
> Anyway, I have a couple of questions regarding the usage of git
>
> 1) When syncing my own GitHub and the Bioconductor git repositories, a check showed duplicate commits after merging the branches (git log --oneline | wc returns twice as many commits as in SVN). Is it necessary to follow the steps in https://www.bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/abandon-changes#force-bioconductor--to-github- (i.e. forcing changes from Bioconductor to GitHub), or is this fine? I've also already pushed the merge to Bioconductor git

The bioc-git server should not have duplicate commits. I see that you have already pushed your change, so we will fix the repo for you. Please hold off on all further changes. This effectively contaminates your commit history.

It is necessary to follow the steps we outline in the link you mentioned.

Once we fix your repo, you’ll have to make that change and commit to your repository again.

> 2) Currently, my SSH key provides read/write access to the Bioconductor git of my team's package. However, we wish to have all the package collaborators on our GitHub to have similar access. Is this possible, and if so, how would we go about obtaining this?

This is not a good idea, all the development should happen on GitHub, and then one maintainer for the package who has commit access to the Bioc-git server should push these changes upstream.

Only the maintainers of the package will have access to the server.

> Thank you!

Please give me a day to fix your repository, and I will send you a follow up email.

Best

Nitesh