[Bioc-devel] git transition for projects with prior git history

Stephanie M. Gogarten sdmorris at u.washington.edu
Fri Aug 11 00:30:51 CEST 2017

I tried following the instructions in scenario 9 after adding a remote:
$ git remote add upstream https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/GENESIS.git
$ git fetch --all
Fetching origin
Fetching upstream
warning: no common commits

When I merge both upstream and origin, I see all my commits in
duplicate: one from my original repo, and one from Bioconductor.

My repo has a rather complicated history: original author forked from
the Bioc mirror, I forked from his repo, submitted a pull request, he
pushed those changes back to SVN. Later I took over maintenance, set the
Bioc mirror as a remote, and pushed my changes directly using git
cherry-pick.

I'm guessing that the only reasonable path forward here is to just
delete the current repo and start over after the transition, but I'm
wondering if anyone else has seen the "no common commits" message, or
has any other ideas.

thanks,
Stephanie