[Bioc-devel] github mirror and svn out of sync

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Sep 21 13:38:37 CEST 2016

On 09/21/2016 12:01 AM, Rainer Johannes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I recently observed that the svn and the github mirror of `ensembldb` is out of sync. Is this something specific to `ensembldb` or is this a general problem? Is there anything I could do to fix this?

I think it is up-to-date now? I think the problem is when several svn
commits occur in quick succession, and the second tries to sync the git
repository while the first is still working. I guess the common case is
when you're working on a git repo and merge it to svn in a way that
retains the discrete git commits as svn commits.

Each commit triggers this script

   https://github.com/Bioconductor/mirror/blob/master/update_git.py

and these lines (usually the second?) fail

   https://github.com/Bioconductor/mirror/blob/master/update_git.py#L87
   https://github.com/Bioconductor/mirror/blob/master/update_git.py#L90
   https://github.com/Bioconductor/mirror/blob/master/update_git.py#L93

leaving the local git repository in a condition that requires manual
clean-up.

I guess this requires a more sophisticated implementation, where the svn
commit adds a task to a time-ordered queue, and the queue waits until
each previous step has been complete.

Martin