[Bioc-devel] rhdf5::h5createFile() prints "Set libver lower bound to 18"

Fischer, Bernd b.fischer at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Sep 6 08:09:14 CEST 2016

Dear Aaron,

the message is not necessary. I removed the message (rhdf5 2.17.6).

Best,

Bernd

On 05.09.2016, at 19:30, Aaron Lun <alun at wehi.edu.au<mailto:alun at wehi.edu.au>> wrote:

Dear list and Bernd,

rhdf5 v2.17.5 now prints out a message when h5createFile() gets called:

library(rhdf5)
h5createFile("ex_createFile.h5")
[1] "Set libver lower bound to 18"
[1] TRUE

I'm not a HDF5 expert, but is this message really necessary? It only
seems helpful if someone gets errors from trying to read a file created
in this manner with a HDF5 library version < 18. However, at that point,
they're probably not in the same R session (or, indeed, using R/BioC at
all) and will have long forgotten about this version info.

If it is required, then wouldn't message() be a more appropriate output
method? This would allow me to silence it with suppressMessages().

Cheers,

Aaron

—

Bernd Fischer
Computational Genome Biology / B210
group leader

German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ)
Foundation under Public Law
Im Neuenheimer Feld 580
69120 Heidelberg
Germany
phone: +49 6221 42-1280
fax:      +49 6221 42-1289
b.fischer at dkfz.de<mailto:b.fischer at dkfz.de>
http://www.dkfz.de/en/computational-genome-biology
Management Board: Prof. Dr. Michael Boutros (interim), Prof. Dr. Josef Puchta
VAT-ID No.: DE143293537