[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor 3.4 release schedule

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Oct 6 00:31:20 CEST 2016

On 10/05/2016 05:33 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I submitted a new package after the deadline, so I understand it won't
> be available to users until the next release in 6 months (assuming it's
> acceptable).
>
> I'm not clear on what happens once a package is accepted into
> Bioconductor. At that point, if I make changes, are they visible to
> users, or is the version of the package available via BiocLite() frozen
> between releases?
>
> Put the other way, after my package is accepted, should I maintain
> 'stable' and 'developmental' branches in the package repo for my work?
> Or is any change to my package treated as a development branch until it
> gets frozen into the next official release in 6 months' time?

If your package is added to the repository after the release, then it is
added to the 'devel' branch and any changes are introduced there for
availability at the next release.

Any user can opt for the 'devel' branch

   http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/useDevel/

(the exact instructions change depending on where R and Bioconductor are
in each others' release cycle) but then they are accepting that the
software they are using can be quite dynamic.

Once a version of your package makes its way to 'release', then one can
add bug fixes to 'release', and bug fixes and new features to 'devel'
for the next release.

Martin