[Bioc-devel] adding new features to current release branch

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Nov 17 12:36:57 CET 2016

On 11/17/2016 04:13 AM, Anand MT wrote:
> Hi Mods,
>

> My package maftools is now in release branch. Since the release, I
> haven't made any bug fixes or any sort of changes. Now I have few bug
> fixes and new functions that I want to add as they are helpful to
> users. Since, its mentioned only bug fixes to be ported to release,
> my question is, whether to add these new functions to devel or is it
> still acceptable/okay to port them to current release branch?

add the bug fixes and new functions to devel. Make sure that these are
ok in the nightly builds. Port the bug fixes to release. Be careful not
to let new features or 'API' changes creep into release -- the release
user gets the current functions and a constant interface so that they
can carry on with use of your package in a stable environment.

Ideally, the commits to devel are separated so that it is easy to port
the bug fixes, e.g., using the svn merge command.

Martin