[Bioc-devel] Question about sumbition process and biocviews

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Sat Nov 5 16:21:49 CET 2016

On 11/05/2016 11:12 AM, Ioannis Vardaxis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I upload my package to Github does the evaluation process start immediately? Or do I have to ask for it?

follow the instructions at

   https://github.com/Bioconductor/Contributions

when the issue is opened, someone (usually within 24 hours) moderates
your package so that the package is built and checked, and a reviewer
assigned. The reviewer will tackle your package without further
intervention from you and in due course, although many contributors end
up making substantial changes in response to the package builds before
the reviewer provides feedback.

> Furthermore, during the evaluation process do I get feedback about the dependencies of my package etc? I have those in my description file, but maybe they should be placed a little differently.

maybe, but if you have concerns then ask here first. No need to be
secretive about things, so don't hesitate to mention your package github
location (even before submission) and be specific and simple about your
question.

> Moreover, when I run biocheck I get en error that I don't have any biocviews. I read the manual for creating those, but it is very difficult to understand. Do I do this after I upload the package to github or on my MAC?

Simply add a field biocViews: to the DESCRIPTION file, with terms chosen
from those available in the navigation widget at

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/BiocViews.html#___Software

See for example the terms in

https://github.com/Bioconductor-mirror/GenomicRanges/blob/master/DESCRIPTION

Martin