[Bioc-devel] submitting annotation and data package

Obenchain, Valerie Valerie.Obenchain at roswellpark.org
Wed Jun 15 16:17:04 CEST 2016

Hi,

Historically annotation packages were not reviewed in the package
tracker. Last year I starting asking authors to upload the package to a
S3 bucket and open an issue on the package tracker (with no upload). I
reviewed the package and posted comments to the tracker. This kept all
communication in one place and gave us a record of approved packages. It
doesn't sound like this system will work with the new tracker.

For annotation and large experimental data packages maybe we need an
option to create an issue without an associated github repo? Or at least
a flag that prevents a commit from kicking off a new build (would fail
if data are in S3/dropbox/etc. and only software is in github).

This separation of data and software is not a problem with resources
contributed to ExperimentHub. Data are permanently stored in S3 and the
parent software package submitted to the tracker uses ExperimentHub() to
load the data.

Kasper, if your package is annotation and not experimental data and you
want it as a package instead of in AnnotationHub please upload to this
S3 bucket

  aws --profile username s3 cp dataobject
s3://contributed-annotation-experiment/myannotationpackage --acl public-read

and I'll start the review from there. If you'd rather put the data in
AnnotationHub I can help with that too.

Val