[Bioc-devel] notify out-dated branches

Yu, Guangchuang gcyu at connect.hku.hk
Mon Jun 13 06:32:41 CEST 2016

Dear Dan,

Thanks for the update, this is really helpful.

I think many users are new to R and they just google search their issue and
find out a Bioconductor package may solve their issue. The problem is the
landing page of BioC 3.1 or 3.2 maybe the top hit of google search. Not
allow search engines to index old package landing pages is a good idea.

This is the email I received yesterday:

> I would like to use ggtree
>
> But everytime I try to install in 3.2
> I get this error
> Warning message:
> In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
>   installation of package ‘ggtree’ had non-zero exit status

Receiving such email is quite often.

The issue is users may only read the vignette and then try to install the
package by using install.packages() without reading the installation guide
in the landing page. They just bug the author without google search it.
Maybe we need to add installation section in vignette too.

Another issue is the Bioconductor release policy, Many new users may not
aware of it and they keep asking why they need to upgrade R to install the
latest version. I think it would be great to add a section of `Bioconductor
Release Policy` in the page, https://www.bioconductor.org/install, and add
a link to this page in the installation section of package landing page.

Best wishes,
Guangchuang