[Bioc-devel] on the subject of combine, cbind and rbind

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:31:26 CEST 2016

combine() is the old style way of combining ExpressionSets and friends and
is pretty powerful, for example dealing with pData objects with different
columns (which is the case for almost all data).

It seems to me that cbind() on SummarizedExperiments is much less
powerful.  Specifically rbind() on DataFrame's (for colData) requires that
the two DataFrame's have the same columns.  I think this should be
addressed.  It is not clear to me that rbind() doesn't do the right thing,
but in that case perhaps we do need combine() for SummarizedExperiment's
and DataFrame's

Or perhaps Im doing it wrong.

Best,
Kasper