[Bioc-devel] mapIds methods for ExpressionSet and SummarizedExperiment

Ludwig Geistlinger Ludwig.Geistlinger at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Wed Jan 6 18:07:06 CET 2016

Dear Martin,

I finally found the time to make the code available via GitHub:

https://github.com/lgeistlinger/MapIds

and added you as a collaborator.
This is currently just a quick put-together for you to get an impression.
NA and duplicated mappings currently need to be removed to ensure
uniqueness of featureNames and rownames, respectively (via na.rm=TRUE and
dupl.rm=TRUE).

But there are, of course, other/better ways to summarize over
NA's/Duplicates, e.g. by appropriately passing that on to the 'multiVals'
Argument of AnnotationDbi::mapIds().

Just let me know in case you find that of any use or you find things that
could be improved/extended.

Best,
Ludwig

---

Dear Martin,

Ok, I am tyding that up and provide that via GitHub for you.
BTW, these ranges to Ids and vice versa sounds very cool!

> The original intention of the annotation() slot in ExpressionSet was to
> include the microarray chip identifier, so that one references this when
> translating from probeset to gene identifiers.

One question to that, as I often find my functions to ask for the organism
uder study (which I believe is actually most typically known when
investigating an expression dataset). While there are convenient ways to
ask microarray annotation packages for the organism under study (and thus
infer it from annotation(eset)), I wonder whether there is a similar slot
for SummarizedExperiment, eg an 'organism' slot? Or are there specific
reasons arguing against that?

Best,
Ludwig