[Bioc-devel] update versions for 3.3 with to deal with new testthat

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:22:06 CEST 2016

Dear All,

Before doing something I shouldn't I want to make sure how to proceed:

a few hours ago, a new version of testthat has been made available in CRAN
(v. 1.0.0); this version can be more picky with statements such as

expect_output(out, "some message")

Now (depending on the details, which I skip here) some of those might fail
unless we write:

expect_output(print(out), "some message").

This change could lead to failures of some tests (it will for my OncoSimulR
package).

So my question is:  will new tests of BioC 3.3 use the former testthat
(0.11) and be frozen at that version, or should we update changes that will
prevent failures when testthat us updated to version 1.0? I'd just go ahead
and update, but

https://www.bioconductor.org/developers/release-schedule/

indicates that we should only change code if there are show-stopper
bugs. But whether these are show stopper bugs depends on whether testthat
will be upgraded to 1.0

I am inclined to upgrade, but want to make sure that is the right course of
action.

Best,

R.

--