[Bioc-devel] namespace question

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Apr 7 10:59:51 CEST 2016

On 04/07/2016 03:54 AM, Karim Mezhoud wrote:
> unfortunately,
>
> Bioconductor version 3.3 (BiocInstaller 1.21.4), ?biocLite for help
> Bioconductor does not yet support R version 3.4.0

The release of Bioconductor on May 4 and the next release in the fall
will both be based on the R-3.3.* series, because that is the version of
R that users (rather than 'developers') will have. The spring release
next year is the first that will use R-devel. Bioconductor will not
support (has no need to support) R-devel again until after the fall
release, when the Bioc-devel branch will use R-devel.  So for the next
six months there is no sense (or support) for Bioconductor packages to
use features that are only available in R-devel.

Michael has ported this new feature to the R-3-3-0 branch

R-3-3-branch$ svn log -r70426
r70426 | lawrence | 2016-04-05 17:06:10 -0400 (Tue, 05 Apr 2016) | 2 lines

port c70412 from trunk

so that with a sufficiently new R you can use this functionality. The
build systems will eventually be updated to an appropriately recent
version of R from the 3-3-branch.

Martin