[Bioc-devel] upgrading

Morgan, Martin Martin.Morgan at roswellpark.org
Tue Oct 20 17:45:49 CEST 2015

Technically, prior to the release we were using R-3.2 for both release and devel. Only after the release did we 'support' R-devel, implying a new installation of BiocInstaller.

I guess you were using R-devel prior to the release and had an unsupported installation of BiocInstaller. Alternatively, you updated R over an existing library. Apparently at least one of these scenarios (probably the former) is somehow common amongst Bioc developers. I guess in general our approach has been to realize that there are many incorrect ways to skin a cat, and we cannot possibly anticipate all of them, so we will only support the approved way.

Sorry for the frustration.

Martin