[Bioc-devel] Short URLs for packages?

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Mon Mar 23 16:38:29 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Fischer, Bernd <
b.fischer at dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> During the production process of the paper we want to link to the
> accompanying
> BioC package that is in devel, but not yet in release. Before the first
> release, the
> link (e.g. www.bioconductor.org/<packagename>) should go to the devel
> version
> (maybe with an additional warning that it is only available in devel),
> before the
> first release of the package and should go to release afterwards.

I understand the appeal of this, but decoupling publications from the
actual, exact versions they discuss or use seems like a relatively large
step backwards in terms of reproducibility. At the very least, I think
there is some nuance here that warrants careful consideration before we
adopt a single-silently-changing-link-per-package paradigm.

~G