[Bioc-devel] Changes to the SummarizedExperiment Class

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:40:38 CET 2015

I am a bit concerned about any major alterations to the
SummarizedExperiment API.  We have
two papers and plenty of working code that use it in meaningful ways.
Effort required to keep new
formulations back-compatible as well as bug-free has to be weighed
seriously.

I agree that the name is not ideal.  We are learning as we go.

Seems to make sense to start with the contracts we want the instances of a
class to satisfy.  I have long felt
that X[i, j] idiom is one users and developers should be comfortable with,
even insist on, and for consistency
with matrix operations idiom, it should work in a natural way for numeric
indexing.  This seems like an important
constraint.  subsetBy* is a useful idiom, but it is conceivable that we
would adopt filter() for row-oriented selections
and select() for column-oriented selections.  Do we have to make any
special design considerations to allow
very smooth interoperation with out-of-memory resources for certain
components for developers who want to allow this?

We should have a reasonable way to get data on what is out there, what is
used, how it is most effectively used.
What's the SE API?  Is it well-adapted to requirements of DESeq2?  Other
killer packages that use/don't use it?
Even getting data on the formal API for a class is not all that familiar.
And if folks are writing non-S4 interfaces (i.e., naked
functions) we have no way of identifying them.  See below for one way of
discovering the API for SummarizedExperiment.

In summary, I think we have to be careful about overdesigning too early.
Getting clear on contracts seems the best
way to ensure reuse, and we really want that so that reliability is
continually assessed.  My sense is that it is good
to give developers something they'll gladly extend, not necessarily reuse
directly.  So we don't have to have
broad consensus on class details, but on the minimal abstraction and on
obligatory tests on its basic implementation.

> methods(class="SummarizedExperiment")  # perhaps an obsolete version of
methods cataloguer by MTM

DataFrame with 76 rows and 3 columns

         generic
    signature       package

     <character>
  <character>   <character>

1              [                   x="SummarizedExperiment", i="ANY",
j="ANY", drop="ANY"          base

2              [              x="SummarizedExperiment", i="ANY",
j="missing", value="ANY"          base

3              [                           x="SummarizedExperiment",
i="ANY", j="missing"          base

4            [<- x="SummarizedExperiment", i="ANY", j="ANY",
value="SummarizedExperiment"          base

5          assay                                  x="SummarizedExperiment",
i="character" GenomicRanges

...          ...
          ...           ...

72  updateObject
object="SummarizedExperiment"  BiocGenerics

73        values
x="SummarizedExperiment"     S4Vectors

74      values<-
x="SummarizedExperiment"     S4Vectors