[Bioc-devel] Changes to the SummarizedExperiment Class

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Wed Mar 4 00:16:33 CET 2015

On 03/03/2015 03:06 PM, Peter Haverty wrote:
> I'd like to see a basic class that takes a DataFrame and a sub-class that
> takes a GRanges.

Yes.

> I still think GRanges should be a subclass of DataFrame,
> which would make this easy, but I don't seem to be winning that argument.

Just impossible. As Michael mentioned back in November, they have
conflicting APIs.

> While the hood is up, can we try some different names?
> SummarizedExperiment never seemed like a great fit to me because it doesn't
> necessarily contain experiments or summaries thereof.  It's a collection of
> like-sized rectangular things with metadata on the two dimensions.  Maybe
> the name could reflect what it holds rather than a common use case?
> AnnotatedMatrixList?

We actually need 2 names: 1 for the parent class, 1 for the child. I'm
starting to think that introducing 2 new names would maybe make the
migration a little bit easier, especially since the plan is to move the
"refactored SummarizedExperiment" to its own package. With 2 new names
we can start the new package, implement the 2 new classes in it, and
have the old SummarizedExperiment (in GenomicRanges) and the 2 new
classes peacefully cohabit during the time of the migration.

Cheers,
H.

>   Anyway, I'm excited to see a version on the way that takes a DataFrame as
> rowData.  I'm glad you guys are working on that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete
>
> ____________________
> Peter M. Haverty, Ph.D.
> Genentech, Inc.
> phaverty at gene.com
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Michael Lawrence <lawrence.michael at gene.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Seems like rowData could be made to work universallly through coercion.
>> rowRanges would not, however, and one would like a convenient mechanism to
>> condition on whether range information is available. One way is to
>> introduce a new class and rely on dispatch. But that adds complexity.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Gabe Becker <becker.gabe at gene.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Jim et al.,
>>>
>>> Why have two accessors (rowRanges, rowData), each of which are less
>>> flexible than the underlying structure and thus will fail (return NULL?
>> or
>>> GRanges()/DataFrame() ?) in some proportion of valid objects?
>>>
>>> ~G

>> https://stat.ethz.ch/
>>> team
>> end