[Bioc-devel] Changes to the SummarizedExperiment Class

Peter Haverty haverty.peter at gene.com
Wed Mar 4 00:06:34 CET 2015

I'd like to see a basic class that takes a DataFrame and a sub-class that
takes a GRanges.  I still think GRanges should be a subclass of DataFrame,
which would make this easy, but I don't seem to be winning that argument.

While the hood is up, can we try some different names?
SummarizedExperiment never seemed like a great fit to me because it doesn't
necessarily contain experiments or summaries thereof.  It's a collection of
like-sized rectangular things with metadata on the two dimensions.  Maybe
the name could reflect what it holds rather than a common use case?
AnnotatedMatrixList?

 Anyway, I'm excited to see a version on the way that takes a DataFrame as
rowData.  I'm glad you guys are working on that.

Regards,

Pete

Peter M. Haverty, Ph.D.
Genentech, Inc.