[Bioc-devel] ncdf deprecation

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Fri Dec 4 19:19:30 CET 2015

Hi Stephanie and Hervé,

ncdf has been added to the extra repos for BioC 3.2

I hesitate to add it to the extra repos for devel (3.3). If we don't add it, then we will start getting build errors as soon as ncdf is removed from CRAN (well actually, it will happen the next time we update R on the devel build machines after ncdf is removed, unless we uninstall it manually). IMO this is a good thing as it will alert maintainers that they need to make the appropriate changes to their packages.

I think it would be great for all maintainers of packages that depend on ncdf to start making the appropriate changes (RNetCDF or ncdf4 instead) sooner rather than later, in devel, then nobody will have to scramble to get this done when ncdf is removed from CRAN.

Thanks,
Dan