[Bioc-devel] building R and bioconductor

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Tue Apr 28 19:53:32 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Laurent: Thanks for the shout-out! It's gratifying to see that people have
noticed what I'm doing.

Berri,

As Laurent suggested, my switchr package (currently at
http://github.com/gmbecker/switchr , on CRAN soon) is designed to do this.
It has a few features which I think are relevant to what you're asking for:

   - It is designed to easily install cohorts of packages - or specific
   versions thereof.
   - It uses install.packages to get dependency issues right, while adding
   an extra layer that understands versions, and can retreive old versions
   from a variety of sources (github, CRAN Archive, Bioc previous releases and
   SVN, etc).
   - It provides a mechanism for describing cohorts of specific package
   versions (a SeedingManifest) in a form that can be
      - used to install the listed packages
      - deployed as a traditional repository (including integration
      testing) via my related GRANBase package
      - Published or distributed in a light-weight manner, e.g. as a github
      gist (via http://github.com/gmbecker/switchrGist )

I would argue that whatever approach you choose should deal with package
dependencies and installation order automatically. There should be no
reason for you to need to specify those yourself, and lots of downsides of
doing so. AFAIK RStudio's packrat and my switchr systems both have this
property.

Some things switchr doesn't do:

   - Anything at the R-version level or above.
      - This is ripe for a combination with a docker-based approach. Carl
      Boettiger (cc'ed) is one of the people behind
      https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker and there was some discussion of
      incorporating switchr there for this purpose, but I don't know
if anything
      has happened with that yet.
   - Binary packages - Currently, you must have the ability to build all
   the packages you want from source on the destination system.

I'm happy to answer any further questions about switchr or to hear about
features you need that it doesn't seem to have yet.

Best,
~G