[Bioc-devel] Interoperability between DataFrame and dplyr?

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Fri Apr 24 03:02:51 CEST 2015

In theory, probably not that hard. DataFrame implements methods on
primitive and S3 generics, so even the darkest shadows of the S3 world will
dispatch correctly on those. One potential roadblock is that dplyr may
assume that all columns are base R vectors, which would obviously fail for
stuff like Rle.  Ideally, the data.frame implementation of dplyr has
restricted itself to some subset of the base R API, without diving down
into C++, except through dispatch.  But that might be too idealistic. Good
luck, I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Michael