[Bioc-devel] Docker granularity: containers for individual R packages, running on a normal R installation?

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Tue Apr 14 13:23:31 CEST 2015

Is it possible to ship individual R packages (that e.g. contain complex, tricky to compile C/C++ libraries or other system resources) as Docker containers (or analogous) so that they would still run under a “normal”, system-installed R. Or, is it possible to provide a Docker container that contains such complex system dependencies such that a normal R package can access it e.g. via .Call ?

(This question exposes my significant ignorance on the topic, I’m still asking it for the potential benefit of a potential answer.)

Wolfgang