[Bioc-devel] BrowserViz

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Fri Apr 3 23:43:05 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Paul Shannon <
paul.thurmond.shannon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Great to get your response, comments and questions.  Answers attempted
> below.
>
> I think our overriding difference lies in our contrasting experience of
> complexity.  I have come to see websockets as minimal, simple, fast and
> flexible, whereas you see them quite differently.  I would like to
> understand your views on this; I could be overlooking somce important and
> maybe costly complicating features, perhaps because of my fondness for
> other simplifying features.

I was just referring to potential complexity. If one attempted to
reimplement the useful features of HTTP (like caching), complexity would be
introduced into application code, while you really want that complexity in
the protocol implementation. HTTP seems most appropriate for when the
server is acting as the data model. Outside of that, I see the benefits of
web sockets.

I think you missed my question about RPC. Also, any thoughts as to more
formalism around the payload? We obviously have complex data structures,
and it would be nice to communicate semantics somehow to the web browser.
For example, could there be some convention for representing a
SummarizedExperiment? Could a payload contain the equivalent of a media
type that an R/JS library could understand to marshal objects? Could there
be some way to query for the types of payload a command supports?

I've seen stuff like WAMP, but they seem to lack the ability to declare
high-level types. Maybe that's just out of style?