[Bioc-devel] SummarizedExperiment subset of 4 dimensions

Jesper Gådin jesper.gadin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 10:19:10 CEST 2015

Hi Wolfgang and Michael,

As Michael says, there is no redundant information in the 4D array I have,
and all the values are integers.

Of course I can simulate 4D by e.g. creating extra 3D arrays as assays
equal to the length of the fourth dimension, but that makes the assay list
a mess. It would also require me to write accessor functions that
transforms the data into 4D before subsequent calculations (or to use a for
loop..).

Another option would be to include the 4D as a multiple in the 3D, which
would not require a later transformation into 4D. If I understood correct,
the array is just a long vector, which is indexed into different
dimensions, and so everything in an SE object could as well be written as
2D. But (my belief is that) it is actually convenient to use the properties
of dimensions for arrays.

So if there is not a problem extending to 4D, I would be extremely grateful
if you could take a look at it. :)

Regards,
Jesper

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Michael Lawrence <lawrence.michael at gene.com