[Bioc-devel] Guidelines for shiny packages

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 29 21:56:38 CEST 2014

----- Original Message -----

Actually, the code for a shiny app can be in a package. The runApp() function can be called with a list instead of a directory, where the list contains named items "ui" and "server". See the example in ?runApp.
We prefer this approach as it fits better into the package framework and allows better code reuse.

> Consequently they are not ‘build’ and
> whatever is in there is not part of the package namespace. The
> functionality of my GUI requires several packages, but for the
> reasons given above they are not imported into the package
> namespace. Still they are needed for the package to function
> properly. The main question is thus: How to state this hard
> dependency in the DESCRIPTION file without getting knocked on the
> head for not importing your dependencies during check and BiocCheck?

See above. If you call runApp() as described above then you handle package dependencies the same way you would in a regular package.

Dan