[Bioc-devel] Git-SVN bridge: Alternative to get commit history?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sun Sep 21 22:07:29 CEST 2014

A few questions about the Bioconductor Git-SVN bridge:

Q1. Is it safe to add, delete, add, delete, add, ... a bridge over and
over for the same package and GitHub repository?  Not that I want to
do it, but I wonder if I had to, will I break something?

Q2. Can you change the "SVN / Git wins unconditionally" setting for an
existing bridge, or do you just delete it and the recreate it?

Q3. Commit history: In the past I've migrated other Subversion
repositories of mine to Git using 'git svn ...' (actually
https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git). This was not too complicated
since my Subversion repos were well behaving (e.g. had no branches).
This allowed me to keep the complete commit history.  I can do the
same to pull down the complete Bioc Subversion package history to a
Git repository.
(a) My question is now, could I put this on GitHub containing the
complete history and start off with this one when I setup the Bioc
Git-SVN bridge?
(b) Would that work and/or would it confuse the bridging?
(c) If ok, should I use "SVN wins unconditionally" or will that just
overwrite the whole Git repository?

I'm planning to work off Git, so most updates should go in the
GitHub-to-BioC direction.

Thanks

Henrik