[Bioc-devel] experiment data package versioning

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Thu Oct 30 18:52:14 CET 2014

Hi Laurent,

On 10/30/2014 10:31 AM, Laurent Gatto wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was under the (wrong) impression that experiment data packages would
> be following the same versioning convention as software with even/odd
> for release/devel branches.

You're right! This is what we should have done:

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2014-April/005452.html

And it seems that we actually did this for the previous BioC release
(BioC 2.14) back in April.

> Would this be something that others would find useful?

Now that we have branches for experiment data packages, I think
it's more important than before that we follow this even/odd
versioning convention. That way the maintainers have "room" to
bump the version of their package in release, i.e. they can bump
the version of their package in release without the need to re-use
a version number that is already (or has already been) used by
the devel version of their package.

I don't think it's worth fixing in release but we should probably
bump y in devel.

Cheers,
H.

> Best wishes,