[Bioc-devel] plotPCA for BiocGenerics

Thomas Dybdal Pedersen thomasp85 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 09:54:35 CEST 2014

While I tend to agree with you that PCA is too big an operation to be hidden within a plotting function (MDS is an edge-case I would say), I can’t see how we can ever reach a point where there is only one generic plot function. In the case of PCA there is a number of different plot-types that can all lay claim to the plot function of a PCA class, for instance scoreplot, scatterplot matrix of all scores, biplot, screeplot, accumulated R^2 barplot, leverage vs. distance-to-model… (you get the idea). So while having some very well-thought out classes for very common result types such as PCA, this class would still need a lot of different plot methods such as plotScores, plotScree etc (or plot(…, type=‘score’), but I don’t find that very appealing). Expanding beyond PCA only muddles the water even more - there are very few interesting data structures that only have one visual representation to-rule-them-all…

just my 2c

best
Thomas