[Bioc-devel] plotPCA for BiocGenerics

Kevin Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 23:38:37 CEST 2014

Hi,

I don't see how it needs more functions (as long as you can get
developers to agree).  Suppose that someone can define a reusable PCA
class.  This will contain a single "plot" generic function, defined once
and reused by other classes. The existing "plotPCA" interface can also
be implemented just once, in this class, as

     plotPCA <- function(object, ...) plot(as.PCA(object), ...)

This can be exposed to users of your class through namespaces.  Then the
only thing a developer needs to implement in his own class is the single
"as.PCA" function.  And he/she would have already been rquired to
implement this as part of the old "plotPCA" function.  So it can be
extracted from that, and the developer doesn't have to reimplement the
visualization code from the PCA class.

Best,
   Kevin

---