[Bioc-devel] Regarding the function: oligonucleotideFrequency for k-mers > 11 bps

Ulrich Bodenhofer bodenhofer at bioinf.jku.at
Fri Nov 28 10:24:12 CET 2014

Dear Rodrigo,

We recently released our 'kebabs' package as part of the Bioconductor
3.0 release. Though this package is aimed at providing sequence kernels
for classification, regression, and other tasks such as similarity-based
clustering, the package includes functionality that exactly matches your
needs. See the following example:

    s1 <- DNAString("ATCGATCGATCGATCGATCGATCGACTGACTAGCTAGCTACGATCGACTG")
    s1
    s2 <- DNAString(paste0(rep(s, 200), collate=""))
    s2

    library(kebabs)
    sk13 <- spectrumKernel(k=13, normalized=FALSE)
    system.time(kmerFreq <- drop(getExRep(s1, sk13)))
    kmerFreq
    system.time(kmerFreq <- drop(getExRep(s2, sk13)))
    kmerFreq

So you see that the k-mer frequencies are obtained as the explicit
feature vector of the standard (unnormalized) spectrum kernel with k=13.
This function is implemented in highly efficient C++ code that builds up
a prefix tree and only considers k-mers that actually occur in the
sequence (as you requested). You see that even for k=13 and a sequence
with tens of thousands of bases, the computations only take fractions of
a second (19 msecs on our 5-year-old Dell server). The above function
also works for DNAStringSets, but, in this case, you should remove the
drop() to get a matrix of k-mer frequencies. The matrix is by default
sparse (class 'dgRMatrix'), but you can also enforce the result to be in
standard dense matrix format (however, still omitting k-mers that do not
occur at all in any of the sequences):

    sv <- c(DNAStringSet(s), DNAStringSet(s2))
    system.time(kmerFreq <- getExRep(sv, sk13))
    kmerFreq
    system.time(kmerFreq <- getExRep(sv, sk13, sparse=FALSE))
    kmerFreq

How long the k-mers may be, may depend on your system. On our system,
the limit seems to be k=22 for DNA sequences. The same works for RNA and
amino acid sequences. For the latter, however, the limits in terms of k
are significantly lower, since the feature space is obviously much
larger for the same k.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Ulrich