[Bioc-devel] Installing Annotation Packages Matching a Pattern

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon May 5 06:15:36 CEST 2014

The BiocInstaller package

  library(BiocInstaller)

defines appropriate repositories biocinstallRepos() that can be queried for available packages that are named consistently with your needs

  nms = row.names(available.packages(contrib.url(biocinstallRepos())))
  want = grep("Hsapiens|Mmusculus", nms, value=TRUE)

(there are about 30 of these; maybe you don't want them all?) and retrieved using biocLite

  biocLite(want)

It might also be interesting to identify relevant AnnotationHub resources, e.g., in devel

  library(AnnotationHub)
  hub = AnnotationHub()

and query (in devel; in release you would use metadata(hub) and search through that) to discover the 5339 relevant resources

> query(hub, "sapiens")
class: AnnotationHub
length: 5339
filters: none
hubUrl: http://annotationhub.bioconductor.org/ah
snapshotVersion: 3.0/1.5.3; snapshotDate: 2014-04-01
hubCache: /home/mtmorgan/.AnnotationHub

Martin